Family Support Services funds are designated for individuals (children and adults) living at home with their families. The use of FSS funds are to be directly related to improving the living environment and/or facilitating the care of the individual.
Individuals residing in an ICF/DD home/facility are not eligible for these funds. Further, individuals placed through foster care, adopted individuals (receiving an adoption subsidy), and those who are enrolled on a HCBS waiver or other similar funding source are not eligible.
Applications and Processing
- Step 1An Individual is determined eligible for Stark DD services and requests an FSS application. Individuals applying for FSS funds must be previously determined eligible for services from Stark DD. This eligibility is determined at age 3, 6, and 16. If you are unsure if you are eligible for services from Stark DD Intake, please call 330-479-3582.
- Step 2 The family receives application, completes and submits to the FSS Department.
- Step 3 The FSS Department reviews and processes the application as appropriate.
- Step 4 Families receive fund allocation via mailing of FSS coupons along with vendor list of all vendors who accept FSS coupons as a direct form of payment.
- Step 5 The vendor/provider delivers service and submits claim (coupons) to NEON for reimbursement, and/or the family makes purchases and submits receipt and coupons to NEON for reimbursement.
Allocation of Funds
Stark DD’s Family Support Services Program operates on a fiscal year beginning on July 1.
The maximum annual allocation per eligible individual may vary each year based on the expected number of applicants. The maximum annual allocation per eligible individual is pro-rated throughout the year based upon the date the application is received. The specific allocation per family is based on the family’s reported taxable income from the prior year:
|Date Application Received||Maximum Allocation per Fiscal Year|
|7/1/2023 – 9/30/2023||$750|
|10/1/2023 – 12/31/2023||$570
|1/1/2024 - 3/31/2024||$380
|4/1/2024 - 6/30/2024||$190|
The following services are appropriate to apply FSS funds towards. This list is not all inclusive:
- Special Equipment / Modifications Sensory items, therapy balls, communication devices, adaptive car seats, strollers, etc.
- Special Dietary Items Specialized formula, shakes, thickeners, etc.
- Incontinence Supplies Disposable diapers, wipes, pads, plastic sheets, etc.
- Recreation Dance, horseback riding, camps, swim lessons, ice skating, etc.
- Counseling, Training & Education, Therapy Services
- Transportation SARTA passes can be purchased with FSS funds.
- Respite Care Families can choose DODD certified providers or someone of their choosing. It is not required that the selected provider has provider certification. This service can occur within or outside the family home. Excluded is anyone who shares a residence with the individual, or a parent of the child. Please check on your application if you are interested in respite so you can receive the proper forms that must be completed prior to providing respite.
Payment for Services
Once approved for FSS funds, families will receive an allocation of coupons in increments of $10. In most cases, the family selects the service from a vendor who accepts the coupons as payment. Coupons are provided in exchange for service. The vendor then sends the coupons to the North East Ohio Network (NEON) who furnishes payment. Additionally, families can incur the expense and submit coupons and valid receipt to North East Ohio Network.
When FSS Funds are Exhausted
Families applying for the FSS Program when there is no money available will be placed on a FSS waiting list based on date and time of request. In the event that an emergent need arises and you are on the waiting list, inform the FSS Service and Support Administrator and the situation will be reviewed to determine how assistance can be provided.
Please complete, sign, and return the application. The FSS Service and Support Administrator will review your application and inform you if your family is eligible and FSS funding is available.
Family Support Services SSA
Call: (330) 479-3582